Skip to main content

.loss.

I'm not a writer.
(Don't judge my grammar/spelling, I do what I want.) :)
I'm not a blogger.
I am a sharer. (If that's a word.)
I shared my journey through living in Nicaragua.
I shared bits and pieces here and there as life unfolded post Nicaragua.

This post is coming from something deep. Something that is deep in my heart and has been a major part of what God has been teaching me through my year and a half back in the States.

Loss. {def. : be deprived of cease to have or retain.}

What is loss?

Loss can take on many different faces through our lives.
"I lost my car keys."
"I lost my teddy bear."
"I lost my glasses."
"I lost my grandmother."
"I lost my home."
"I lost my wife/husband."
"I lost my child."
"I lost my childhood."
"I lost my friend."
"I lost my ________."

So many different emotions arise as I read those statements. Some bring up a lightness in helping a young child find their teddy bear or a desire to help a friend find their car keys. Others, others bring up this deep ache in the pit of my being. It's the emotion of knowing what that loss feels like. It's being so close to that loss and feeling as though a piece of you is missing because of that loss.

One thing these losses have is common is the sadness that accompanies the loss.
The depth of sadness and grief varies however.

Something that has plagued my thoughts for weeks/months now...the reason for this rambling...is that sometime you lose something and it's right there.

Here's what I mean. You lose your husband/wife to divorce but, they are still here. You lose your home that you made beautiful memories in but, you can still drive past it. You lose your friend of many years, yet you still see them in town. You lose your happy marriage for a season to hardship, yet you see the happy photos taken.

Those loses can be some of the most painful and bring up deep anger for me. Misplaced anger but anger nonetheless. (Honest)

In these type of losses, the ones where you can see that things can be different and not lost, is where my heart has been through a profound and painful change.

In these losses I've learned an attribute of God that I took for granted.

He is forgiving.
Really forgiving.
Not just a "it's ok" kind of thing.
A, "you are welcomed back into deep relationship with me" kind.

This is a dark part of my hear that I pray will continue to look more like Jesus. Oh, I want it to look more like Him. In my ugliness I want justice. I want to make it right...whatever it is.

Justice and making something wrong right is NOT a bad thing. I'm not saying that. After all, God is just.

For me, it's my heart motive behind it. I made it about me. About me being right. About me making it right. About me making it look the way I want it to look.

In learning these hard lessons I've learned how to choose love. How to choose forgiveness.

God has continued to bring up situations and circumstances where I get to share this part of my journey with Jesus with others who want justice, who are angry, who want to wait until they are ready to forgive, and who are just in feeling some of the ways they are feeling.

Choosing to love. Choosing to forgive. Daily. Even when the loss is not made found.

This is what is looks like when Christ followers say following Christ is not easy.

In the day-to-day.

In my ugliness and the darkness of my heart I want to be angry first then forgive, I want to get justice and then love, I want to make the loss found the way I think it should be done.

Yet, Jesus calls us to love. Calls us to forgive.

How could I not forgive when he paid it all?
How could I not allow Jesus to pour his love through me to the one who hurt my heart when he loved me when I was his enemy?
How could I not choose love when He chose me first?
How could I not?
I can't.
Not anymore.

This has been one of the hardest and painful lessons I've learned in relationship with Jesus.

There are moments I've been really great with it. Have truly loved inside and out those that have caused hurt known or unknown.

There are also moments that I come home and crumple to the floor in tears because I feel as though I just can't choose to love any more. It hurts too deeply.

There are also moments that I get ticked off and dial the number of the person I want to get justice with.

The moments that I am opening the door back to the darkness of my heart, the part that still looks like Ash, those are the moments that I hear the soft whisper of the Holy Spirit.

I am gently and kindly reminded of the love and forgiveness of Jesus. Then I am filled with love for that person. Deep deep deep love. A love that sometimes even surprises me.

I'm constantly reminded that I have to choose love, I have to choose forgiveness, because I am a Christ follower I can do this with His love and grace.

So, if you, dear friends, find yourself holding onto a loss, a hurt, a "justice needing" moment, and you are a Christ follower, I beg you... choose love. choose forgiveness. Choose it and live it out.

And when life slaps you again choose love again, choose forgiveness again.

Keep choosing it until you see Jesus face to face.

This is how we show others our Jesus.
Love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

.forever.changed.part.cuatro.

.day.four.friday. .last.day at House of Hope. .a. marathon day to end the week with for sure. two cell group visits..teaching a cooking/baking class at HoH..two more cell group visits (which we missed one..but got to hear stories)..saying goodbye to the girls at HoH..and lunch and dinner squeezed in there at some point. i was glad that the day was busy. wanted to experience everything before we headed out the next day. .bright. and early we arrived at a small church. balloons and streamers decorated the small building. we piled out of the van and into plastic lawn chair seats. we sat amongst the cell group members. each with their own story that i wish we had time to hear. Shea taught a lesson from Exodus about how God had done amazing things for his people..but some of those people stayed in captivity. God wants full and total freedom for his children. hearing this teaching and then looking back at what God had done in just a few days time made this Truth come alive to me yet ag

.everything.is.a.mess.

.But.God. .Another. yay God moment happened just yesterday! Oscar went and picked up two new women to move into the residential program at the House of Hope! Two more lives on the way to restoration and leaving their life of sin. God is good. .Some. things I never want to get used to about being at the House of Hope is seeing brokenness and broken people. I have found myself talking to Jesus this week a lot about wanting him to burn the faces of these precious children and women in my mind and in my heart. That I would not forget the look in their eyes. That I would not forget their voice. That I would not forget what God has brought them out of…and what he desires so desperately to do in them. That I would not become hard or desensitized to the stories of these people whom I love dearly. .This. week I’ve had the privilege of being the person that the girls have shared hurts with. I’ve cried with and over several girls this week in just hearing

.protect.your.valuables.

.peace.out.forever. The above is one of the favorite sayings of this beautiful young lady...along with "Get outta here and never come back!" followed by a loud laugh. This lady is always there for a smile which is great when life in Nica gets a little rough. Last week was one of those weeks for me...along with this week. Just part of the process I guess. Settling into life here...the business of hosting teams that come and tending to the women and girls who live here on a daily basis. The work is not for the fait of heart. It's amazing to me how tired I can feel at the end of a day that all  I did is hang out with 24 girls. One of the girls called me grandmother the other day...mainly due to my age as in comparison to the other interns...but I think it was partly because I was super tired. These past couple of weeks have been busy on so many levels. Teams from all four corners of the States were here at any given day...girls needing to get off to school...jewe